School District 89 Inclusive Playgrounds Project
Fundraising Goal: $1,000,000
About School District 89 Inclusive Playgrounds Project: Garfield Elementary and Melrose Park Elementary Schools serve 1,200 students grades PreK-5th, who come to us with a variety of talents and ability levels. Our schools are places where our students are empowered to be academically, emotionally and socially successful, our staff is committed to providing a safe and supportive learning environment for all and together we celebrate our diversity,
Why are playgrounds important for children’s development?
- The equipment can encourage children to be more active during recess time and allows children to develop their balance, speed agility and coordination.
- It encourages children to explore and build sensory activity.
- It supports children in building social skills, It is a place where they learn to get along, agree on rules and resolve conflict.
- It is a place that will allow 9reater accessibility and provide a place where ALL children, regardless of physical ability have a place to play, be challenged, and have fun.
- Recent studies have found that physical activity leads to improved academic performance.